Wednesday, February 2, 2011

She & Him

"Eternal Spring Time"

For the final Piece I used Acrylic, watercolor, charcoal pencil, and collage. I pushed the composition a little further by extending the quilt toward the viewer, bringing you further in. I then added a large butterfly at the bottom to further enhance the circular eye movement I was going for.

This piece was incredibly tedious. In order to get the collage to look natural, I had to be absolutely precise along the edges where it bordered the painted areas. I had a little bit of wiggle room in the shadows. In the knife, I actually used tin foil. I was a little worried about the reproduction but I think it works. All in all I think the final painting took me around twenty four hours to produce. 

Digital Color Comp.
I did a color study in photoshop using a lot of muted tones with more saturated areas in the oranges and the butterflies. I also applied some digital patterns to push it even further. 

Tonal Study. Pencil Sketch.
I decided to go with the picnic idea because I thought it best supported the band's style and their desire to make music for an "eternal spring time". I used the hanging fruit, butterflies, and the arch of the tree to keep your eye moving but always land back on Zooey Deschanel. Even when your eyes land on M. Ward, his gaze leads you back to the singer. 



Three quick sketch ideas for an article on the indie rock band She & Him 

No comments:

Post a Comment